Sunday, June 8, 2008

'Understanding Comics' Chapter 9 Summary

The ninth and final chapter of the Scott McCloud’s ‘Understanding Comics’ is the summarising conclusion to the entire book, taking all the major points and ideas from the past chapters and putting them all together to cement his arguments.

In essence, the entire book has been like a big essay that is designed to change people’s perspectives on comics. McCloud explains that comics, like art, are a medium for creative communication that allows us to express our ideas and feelings to one another. This ability is reinforced due to the opened end nature of line, time, colour, closure and so forth within comics, at times even achieving that which the bounds of ‘fine art’ do not allow. It is a form that has evolved from its roots and will only continue to blossom. But, as McCloud details, this can happen a lot faster if preconceived notions about the ‘childishness’ of comics are broken. And if he has written the book correctly this is hopefully what he has achieved.

And I feel he has achieved this. McCloud has successfully argued his point and has ultimately changed my mind on comics too. Although I was an appreciator of comics to begin with I admittedly never really thought there was as much to comics more than that which met the eye. But this book has helped me see their complexity, helping me appreciate them on a scale that rivals some of my favourite artworks from fine artists I discovered whilst doing TEE Art. Not only this, but McCloud has also helped me gain a deeper understanding of artistic techniques like line and colour and how can proper utilisation of them within a comic/cartoon format is also extremely useful for changing impression of character. No doubt that these techniques will be in my own artwork, that is as soon as I get a chance to do some these holidays.

In a sense the book itself displays these mind-changing ideals, as it has been able to communicate these complex issues within a cartoon based comic format and yet has still maintained an extremely dignified intelligence around it.

I would, without a doubt, recommend this book to anyone from a budding cartoonist to a fine art critique to a high school art teacher. It is well argued, well structured, well drawn and makes several excellent points. If it doesn’t help change your mind on comics in one way or another, then I don’t think anything else could

No comments: