Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Response to three points of the Growth Manifesto

18. Stay up late. Strange things happen when you’ve gone too far, been up too long, worked too hard, and you're separated from the rest of the world.

I found this point to be particularly interesting to me, as I myself spend most of my time awake at night. My version of a good nights sleep spans from 3am to 12pm, so I can relate to the statement ‘staying up late’. But I’ve never really thought of drawing at such an early time. Although I can understand what the point means by strange things happening, as when I get tired around that time I experience a state of being close to that of intoxication. Drawing at a time when I’m in this weird state could be interesting for drawing’s sake, as what my mind’s eye sees, perceives and thinks could be radically different to what I experience when completely alert. Thus this could help further my drawing skills and vision


34. Make mistakes faster. This isn’t my idea -- I borrowed it. I think it belongs to Andy Grove.

One thing I particularly hate is not having something looking perfectly like the way I want it to the first time I draw or animate it. Normally when I encounter such a situation I stop all the artwork I have done and leave it, most likely moving onto another drawing and completely forgetting about all the time and effort I put into it. Although I am able to learn from my mistakes, it’s normally a much more long and drawn out process (No pun intended). I think if I were able to complete most of my work and as such make a larger amount of mistakes I would be able to view my imperfections and judge myself at a higher rate and with superior quality. The only way to improve is to learn from my mistakes, so I need to finish those mistakes first.



41. Laugh. People visiting the studio often comment on how much we laugh. Since I've become aware of this, I use it as a barometer of how comfortably we are expressing ourselves

I’m particularly fond of laughter, I find it is one of the most potent and enjoyable way of expressing oneself and bringing my joy to others. Having a statement like this, simply ‘laugh’, is perhaps the easiest yet most deep statement in which to live your career to. It promotes a good worth ethic as well as a good goal and can make even the dullest situation a little brighter. It too can also be extremely expressive based on ones mood. It’s a statement I already try and live my life by. That nothing is over being looked at with laughter. So it’s good to see that my ideas are already heading on the right track.

No comments: